Saturday, February 4, 2012

I fell in looove...with the daikon!!

Sorry for the lack of post guys..Anyway, today becomes a new era in the Pinkie Rabbit's household..yup...we are going to add another vegetable into our favourite veggies list..it's the daikon/ white radish or lobak putih! To tell you the truth I have quite an experience with daikon just a few weeks before..I bought a white daikon from the local supermarket which is quite huge..I made it into soup accompanied with my faithful spinach..n it tasted yucks!!It tasted like all I would imagine daikon would be ..hard, tasteless and bitter! We threw away the remaining daikon and was less interested in sowing more daikon seeds..Now, you see, from the previous post, I was having 2 daikon plants in my garden..This morning I took one look at my growing daikon..The whitish part of the daikon has emerged from under the ground and I decided to give it another try..So, I harvested both the daikon that was planted in a small pot.. One looked rather scrawny, a bit longer than the other one, which was a big round..I cleaned them both and after removing the dirt, they looked so white, so pure and divine (oopppsss.I got a little bit carried away) that I almost lost all desire to cook them! (ok, I'm exaggerating at this point..heheheh)..but nonetheless, I cut them up and just did a simple stir-frying with some onion and garlic..When I put them in the mouth, I was speechless..The whitish part was far from bitter..it has a nice tinge of sweetness that was undescribable (is there such word???) by words..unlike the daikon I bought a few weeks ago!  The leaves tasted just like bak choy but a bit tougher.. Though it's hard to persuade Mr Warhammer to like Daikon, I was determined to put this veggie on the family menu..I could now see the daikon swimming in my kids soup, stir frying it with some bak choy or spinach, etc..well folks, sorry for the rambling..gotta stop now before I continue blabbering more about my new sweetheart ..the daikon..Adios, people!!

One looked rather scrawny, but the other one looked fine to me..

Looking after a thorough peeling and washing..

Right after peeling...

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. betul, posting ni menarik. memberi gambaran jelas beza lobak putih yg dah lama disimpan berbanding lobak putih segar

      Delete
  2. Encik Iskandar dan baguznet: Terima kasih kerana sudi berkunjung.. betul, memang rasanya sangat2 berbeza!

    ReplyDelete