Sunday, September 25, 2011

New hobby!!

      Hi everyone..it's been like years since the last time I posted any N3.Happy Eidul Fitr to all Muslim readers out there. My days were full of busy activities, juggling between going to the labs, finished off my thesis and managing my family. My precious prince is now 1 year and 3 month old and he is an outdoor person himself..Always pointing outside, asking me to take him for a walk around our house. Fortunately,  I'm living in a semi-detached house, so that we have ample of space for him to cruise around..That is how I started to think of the things that I can do with my children outside the house. Actually, I already envisaged to have my own garden since 2 years ago, but Irsyad and Kak Long were still small and we had to carry them around the house whenever we wanted to do sumtin outdoors, but now, since Irsyad has finally walked confidently, the time has come to make my dream a reality. This hobby started off accidentally when I come across this one blog..http://www.tanamsendiri.com.. I'm really amazed that this guy, Mr Iskandar grow his own veggies for his family consumption.He grows so many veggies such as ocra, spinach, mouth watering tomatoes, etc.Anyway, at that moment I wuz only interested to grow some flowers but as days went by, I wuz  very excited to have my own edible garden. When I got home, I urged my hubby to go to a local nursery to buy some soils and I ended up buying 3 flower plants and 1 chilly plant. The flower plants were  1 white zinnia, 1 purple aster and another pink flower which I do not have any idea what's its name but it's a smaller version of zinnia.Anyone that can help me identify this species, feel free to drop your comment here.Here are the their pics:

White zinnia, as white as snow..
Cheery purple aster

Small, pinkie zinnia.has suddenly turned white..anybody knows why??

After 2 days of having these cheery flower pots in my porch, I finally started my edible garden starting with some chillies, capsicum, ocra, chives, onions and bak choy which has been graciously donated by  Mr Iskandar from www.tanamsendiri.com , which I immediately sowed in the pot upon receiving. Hopefully, they will germinate soon!
       Just today before I left to work, I peered down from my bedroom window and to my joy, saw the ocra that was just sowed 2 days before has germinated!! Wow, it wuz very true that growing ocra will never fail you..they were so easy to grow..I will post their progress from time to time..Guess, that's all for now, folks..I'm so glad I found this new hobby which I hope will also teach my children to care for mother earth by planting plants around the house and as the Malay saying goes."Berbakti pada tanah, banyak faedahnya". Now, Kak Long will faithfully follow me around every evening to water the plant. She also seemed to enjoy plucking fresh bird chillies from the chilly plant that I bought from the nursery.

                                          "Happy gardening everyone!!"









No comments:

Post a Comment